Monday, March 21, 2016

A Recital Worth Listening To

Out of the wonders of Spring Break, and back into the doldrums of school life brings with us a new post and a new work (several actually).

This has to be one of my favorites so far as the performance is not only well-played and fun to listen to, but it is a professional recital of a variety of works for this ensemble.  The ensemble I am talking about is the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, and this video is taken from a concert they gave at St. George’s in what I am assuming is England.  

I was searching for appropriate brass ensembles now that I have left the homogenous scene for a bit, and, since we were already talking about the PJBE today in class, I figured I would take a look at this video and I was pretty pleased with the music they performed.  

In order, the works are:

The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba by Handel arr. by Paul Archibald
Five Dances by Praetorius arr. by Peter Reeve
Diferencias by Leonard Salzedo
London Miniatures by Gordon Langford
The King’s Hunting Jig by John Bull arr. by Elgar Howarth


Not only is the playing really good, but listening to the dry sense of humor presented by Mr. Jones as well is a plus.




No comments:

Post a Comment