Friday, March 25, 2016

Familiar Favorite Composer and Performer

We have survived the brief period of cold, rain, and storms and shall proceed with this blog as planned.

Today’s post features a brass septet by a composer I had only recently discovered due to the research of my colleague Megan Small.  The composer’s name is Frigyes Hidas (don’t ask me to pronounce his name) and this is his brass septet in six movements.  Hidas’s concerto for horn and orchestra is a wonderful piece of music and so I was pleased to discover that this is also a very fine piece of music as well.  The performers do this piece justice as well with a good sense of style and cohesion as an ensemble.  I had met the horn player in this recording briefly while he was finishing he up his undergraduate degree at my former college, the University of Dayton, and he is one of the finest players I’ve met.


The full performance can be found with this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment