Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Brief Break is Necessary to Account for Yesterday's Presentation

Let us say hello again to this snowless-Thursday (thank goodness).

I’ll be breaking up the homogenous theme for just a moment in this post as it is now the day after my listening presentation in ABEL, and I am required to blog about the some of the stuff that I posted.  I will also be sharing links at the end of this post to each of the pieces that I shared in class yesterday.  

I was able to get through five pieces yesterday, all with a wide range of repertoire and styles that I am pretty happy about.  They are Fanfare for a Bowl Concert by Arnold Schoenberg, Sonata Pian e Forte by Gabrieli, Sonata for Brass Quintet and Tape Recorder by Csaba Szabo, Hungarian Schnapsodie by Leonhard Paul, and Triangles by John Stevens.

I would like to make a couple of notes on two of the pieces before presenting the links.  I had mentioned that the Gabrieli was a live recording done in the Festival des Cathedrales in Picardie.  According to a couple of French websites, the festival takes place in September and incorporates the many cathedrals in Picardy as settings for different music concerts.  One of the themes of this festival is early and Renaissance music, which is most likely where this performance comes from.  As for the identity of the performers, I’m still looking into that and I have yet to find any information yet, but I may keep looking or even ask someone who may know their identity.

As for the Sonata for Brass Quintet and Tape Recorder, the name tape recorder is a very important source of information for what this piece entails.  According to a couple of websites reviewing this piece, the tape recorder is used to record certain sections of the piece that is then played back during the piece.  One such source is a review of the CD this recording comes from and states: “Szabó applies a very simple method in the three-section third movement: he tapes the first part and he replays it in the third so that the brass can improvise counterpoints for it.”


Also, here are links for each of the recordings:


No comments:

Post a Comment