Friday, April 22, 2016

Rebirthing My Brass Posts and Experiences

I'm going to go in a different direction with this post.

So far, my ensembles have been mainly smaller chamber ensembles that perform pieces one would find in a classical concert setting or perhaps as a part of a university led ensemble.  This particular ensemble is not affiliated with either of these genres of brass music as it mostly combines traditional New Orleans style brass band music with the New Orleans Second Line tradition.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of this type of sound as it sounds really overblown and quite painful to the embouchure in my opinion, but the energy produced by the musicians that is taken up by the crowd is definitely an experience worth having.  It's also good for me as a classical brass musician to expose myself to as much of this other type of music as possible, and this will be explained in greater detail on my blog post about my presentation I will be writing later today.

For now, here is a link to the album by the Rebirth Brass Band celebrating 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment